Monday, September 29, 2008

Humbling moments...

I have felt a gigantic sense of needing to remember how blessed I have been. With many different people around me struggling with different issues, it has made me remember how precious the things we have in life are. I begin to dwell on other's lives and tend to forget about my own. Dwelling on other people isn't going to better my life, nor does it make me feel good. I can be compassionate and still worry for them, but also learn from it and better myself. I am far from being the person I need to be, especially lately it seems. I have been in this rut where I am not motivated to do much of anything spiritual, and I feel like I am caving in somehow. This past month there have been a few things that have just jolted my mind and helped me realize how great I have it. I have such a beautiful family and a wonderful husband who loves me. Not everyone is so lucky. I am grateful for the plan that we have for being on this earth, and knowing there is life after death. I can't imagine how people go through life not understanding why they are here, and what there purpose is. I just needed to get that out somehow, more for myself than anything. With all the problems around me I have just felt closed in, and scared for everyone else. It has just helped me start to focus on how much better I can be, and not dwell on things I cannot change.

6 comments:

Waters said...

Do you need some chocolate dear? I hate nothing more than a slump in my life. I know similarily how you feel regarding dwelling on people's problems. My husband recently taught me a lesson about "who cares". It was a wonderful lesson, his twin just got a divorce, they have 2 boys, his ex-wife has a lot of problems (actually they both do), anyway, I kept thinking about their deelings then Jared said, "who cares, they need to learn their lessons...". I thought, this is coming from the twin brother...(I married the best twin!!!!!) Id tell you more detail about the whole saga but seriously it is a waste of time. I just tell myself that we'll find out reasons why when Christ comes, and to let Christ be the one judging.
Now.......if only I can get Jar's brother to stop coming to our house. People just need to grow up and realize that they are not the only ones in the world.
Im sorry youre feeling down in the dumps.
read my P.E.T.A. article I just posted, itll make you laugh.

Waters said...

Last night I was thinking about you and your situation, of what I know anyway, and President Uchtdorf's message came to mind (when he spoke at the General Relief Society Conference on Sat) he was talking about how we should "mourn with those that mourn." So it is good to have emotional feelings for peoples problems but I also feel that there is an extreme to anything and everything, there is a time to say, okay, Ive done my part, pick myself up and go on.
I hope you have a good day Val, you are a wonderful woman and as you commented you have a wonderful family. I love you.

Cindy Barnes said...

Life does have a way of showing you the good and the bad. I think it is good to have those "jolts" of reality to help us all remember our blessings! I am just really glad that sometimes it is the ones around us that have to go through the really tough times and we can just sit back and reflect on how to make our lives better. We do need to be compassionate to those who are troubled but there is a fine line to what we can do to help. Trials come to help us learn and become humble! I don't know if this makes any sense! But I know what you are feeling Val! I am in the same world! Thanks for putting your feelings into words!

Melysa said...

I totally understand what you are saying. I feel like my life has been this way for the past couple of years, trying to make things work and have relationships with other people that just constantly bring you down. This past month has really put things back into perspective for me. All I can say is that the Lord's hand is in all things. Keep your chin up Val and know that there are so many people that love you.

Clements Est. 2002 said...

Oh Val, you are such a good person with a great heart! You cannot help people who dont want help and who dont give forth an effort to change. You are blessed with a loving family and friends who love you very much just always remind yourself of that! People probably come to you because you are a good listener and you give good advice, but it is up to them after that to choose what to do with it. I hope you are feeling better because you are such a beautiful person!

Mandi said...

Val- that was super sweet and very thought-provoking. It was a good kick in the pants for me too!
Hope all is going well for you! Love you tons!